F A R M F U
It's not about the MP3 Player - I'm lovin' this!


Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Week 7 - Thing 16

Definition: Wikis can essentially be used for anything where collaboratively developed content or easy Web editing is desirable. Internally they can make it easier to share information among librarians. Externally, they can make the library’s website a true online community.

When I first read about wiki's, I was a little skeptical concerning the authenticity of information, especially in regards to the Wikipedia. Yet after the readings for Thing 16, I learned it's
more about sharing information and ideas. Yes, there is a place for this type of social networking to broaden the scope of information available.

This has large implications for libraries. A wiki would be a great communication tool for librarians and local teachers. Librarians could share new books and upcoming programs at the library, and teachers could share upcoming assignments that students may be coming to the library to use.
Committee meetings can be extended through the use of a wiki where all members contribute to share information. And I loved reading about the different examples of wiki's already in use in libraries.

Although those are only a couple examples, the implication for libraries means that the library can become the focal point of the community. By using wiki's, people in the community can share information - ideas and experiences - and the library information becomes a richer information source,
making the library’s website a true online community. And isn't this what it's all about?

By the way, I learned by surfing around "Thing 16" that there is a library 2.1 for us to learn next!

No comments:

Don't you just love this!

I just love this song. It takes me way back to my 6th grade summer. I bought this as a 45 rpm and played it on my grandmother's Victrola, complete with hand crank on the side.

My Bloglines RSS Feeds

This one's for you, June!